Pasta and Mini-Meatballs
(Makes 6 Servings)
Ingredient list for Pasta Sauce:
2 Tablespoons of fresh basil
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cloves of fresh garlic
1- 16 ounce Italian tomato sauce
1 – 8 ounce can tomato sauce (no salt added)
Ingredient list for Meatballs:
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
1 Tablespoon fresh basil
1/2 1lb. low-fat ground beef (4%)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions for Pasta Sauce:
1. Wash and chop the basil.
2. Add the olive oil to a large sauce pan/
3. Using a garlic press, squeeze the garlic cloves into the large saucepan.
4. Cook on medium high until the garlic is golden browned on the edges.
5. Add the tomato sauce and basil.
6. Slowly lower the meatballs into the sauce pan and simmer for 1/2 – 1 hour. Yum!
Directions for Meatballs:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash then chop the parsley and basil.
3. In a medium size mixing bowl add the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, parsley, basil, and pepper.
4. Using a melon baler, scoop meat into 36 small meatballs, roll between the palms of your hand. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
5. Bake in the oven for 5 – 6 minutes.
6. Add to the sauce. Yum!
To complete the recipe:
1. Heat 2 quarts of water in a large stock pot.
2. Add 10 ounces of mini-pasta.
3. Boil for 10 – 12 minutes.
4. Drain in a colander.
5. Top with pasta sauce and meatballs. Yum!