Macaroni and Cheese
8 ounces macaroni pasta (6 ounces pasta & 2 ounces whole wheat pasta)
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup flour
1 3/4 cup low-fat milk
6 ounces reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tablespoons bread crumbs
1. Add 2 quarts of water to a stock pot, add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil.
2. Add the pasta. Bring back to a rolling boil, and boil for 9-10 minutes until tender.
3. Drain through a colander and set aside.
4. In a medium sized sauce pan melt 1/4 cup light margarine.
5. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
6. Using a whisk, stir in 1/4 cup flour and stir until it becomes a thickened paste.
7. Slowly stir in 1 3/4 cup low-fat milk, and continue stirring and cooking over medium heat until the sauce thickens.
8. Remove the sauce pan from the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
9. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked pasta and stir until pasta is completely covered.
10.Place the bread crumbs on a baking sheet and broil them in the oven for about 30 seconds or until they are lightly browned and toasted.
11. Sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese. You did it! Yum!