Chicken Rice Bowls
(Makes 4 servings)
(Makes 2 cup Marinade)
3/4 cup less- sodium Soy sauce
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 cloves of fresh garlic
And 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ginger or ground ginger
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup brown rice (uncooked)
1/2 cup white rice (ucooked)
5 – 6 baby carrots
1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
6 green onions
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
2 Tablespoons unsweetened pineapple juice
Directions to make marinade:
1. In a square baking pan add soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, ginger and 2 Tablespoons pineapple juice.
2. Put the cloves through a garlic press and add to the marinade.
3. Using a whisk, give the marinade a quick stir. Take out 1/4 cup of the marinade and place in the refrigerator for later use.
4. Drop the chicken breasts into the marinade, flip them once to coat both sides, and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for about 1/2 – 1 1/2 hours.
Directions for the Chicken Rice Bowl:
1. In a medium size sauce pan bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
2. Add the rice, cover the pan, and turn the heat to low, (the rice will take 20-30 minutes to absorb all the water).
3. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
4. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, and place chicken on the baking sheet, (throw away the marinade because raw chicken has been marinating in it).
5. Bake chicken in the oven for 10 minutes, turn the chicken over, and bake another 10 minutes. Chicken should be golden brown, tender, and no pink on the inside. (Chicken must be cooked until it is 165 degrees, you can also check this by using a thermometer placed into the thickest part of the chicken.
6. Put the baby carrots in a small bowl with 3 Tablespoons of water and cook in the microwave oven for 2- 3 minutes.
7. Cook peas according to package directions.
8. Rinse the green onions in cold water. Using a paring knife, cut off the ends, (roots) and discard. Slide the knife down the center of each green onion, and cut across the onions to chop into tiny pieces.
9. Chop the chicken into bite size pieces.
10. Now for the fun part! Take your bowl and add 1/2 cup rice, top with chunks of chicken, and sprinkle with carrots, peas, and green onions. Pineapple is optional, but not only gives a sweet flavor, it adds that extra fruit serving. Pour a little of the reserved marinade over your Chicken Rice Bowl! You Did It! Yum!