(Makes 4 calzone – Each serving = 1 calzone)
1 loaf frozen bread dough (or check the website and use the recipe for the whole-wheat pizza dough)
4 ounces low- fat mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
2 Tablespoons egg (mixed to make a wash)
1. Follow the package directions and defrost the bread dough.
2. Cut the dough into four equal pieces.
3. One at a time, lay the dough in the middle of the cutting board and sprinkle lightly with flour.
4. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to the size of a small salad plate.
5. Transfer onto a well greased baking sheet.
6. Spread on the sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
7. Add the toppings you like, (pepperoni, and fresh veggies).
8. Brush the egg wash over the edges of the calzone.
9. Pull one half of the calzone up and over and pinch the edges together with a fork.
10. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 10 – 15 minutes, until golden brown. Yum!
Homemade Calzone Sauce:
2 cloves garlic
1 Tablespoons olive oil
1 small can- 8 ounces tomato sauce (no salt added)
1 small can – 6 ounces tomato paste
1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup water
1. In a medium size fry pan, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and turn the the heat to medium.
2. Use the garlic press and crush 2 cloves of garlic and add to the frying pan. Stir with a wooden spoon until lightly browned.
3. Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, Italian seasonings, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 cup of water.
4. Turn the heat to simmer and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon.