1 pound lean ground beef:
1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
2 Potatoes (long white, round white or red potatoes are best)
8 baby carrots:
2 celery stalks
1 small yellow onion:
1- 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes:
1 teaspoon cumin:
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh garlic
4 cups low-sodium beef broth
4 cups of water
1/4 cup fresh basil:
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Using a chef’s knife, mince the celery, dice the carrots and potatoes, and chop the onion and basil.
2. Add the beef broth and water to a stock pot.
3. Add the vegetables to the stock pot.
3. Puree the tomatoes in a blender and add to the stock pot.
4. Add the cumin, garlic powder, and sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of basil.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.
6. In a medium sized mixing bowl add the ground beef, eggs, rice and 2 tablespoons of basil.
7. Combine the ground beef mixture thoroughly, and form into meatballs, (about the size of a ping pong ball).
8. Using a slotted spoon, slowly lower the meatballs, one at a time, into the stock pot.
9. Simmer the Albondigas Soup for 20-30 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
10.Serve with fresh cilantro, salsa, and warm corn tortillas. You did it! Yum!