Hey Kids, Let’s Cook! is an innovative Award-Winning cooking show created just for kids and teens. First airing on PBS in 2006, with eight seasons and over eighty six episodes, Hey Kid’s Let’s Cook has reached a national audience including major metropolitan areas; Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and New York. Hey Kid’s Let’s Cook has had the invitations to film at The White House, the California Sonoma Raceway featuring NASCAR driver Marcos Ambrose, and has been featured in national magazines and newspapers. This ½ hour series helps children and teens to develop cooking skills, while demonstrating how to make delicious recipes.
The series utilizes a multidisciplinary approach that is all about fun in the kitchen:
- Colorful animation, graphics, and music.
- Animated characters that kids love to connect with.
- Field Trips (farmer’s markets, farms, restaurants, food-processing plants, and grocery stores).
- Focus on yummy, culturally diverse, and vegan recipes (Albondigas, Crepes, Ebelskivers, Fattoush, Pizza, Spaghetti Pie, and more).
- Etiquette and manners.
Based on nutrition and teaches kids:
- Cooking skills
- Kitchen sanitation
- Safety in the kitchen
- Diet and nutrition from the United States Department of Agriculture
- Proper use of kitchen tools and appliances
Anytime kids are in the kitchen they are growing and learning through naturally integrated Common Core curriculum:
- Weights and measures
- Problem solving
- Chemical and physical changes of food during food preparation
- Effects of heating, chilling, mixing and handling of food
- Design of kitchen equipment
- Vocabulary expansion
- Following directions
- Origins of recipes
- Social and cultural aspects of food
About the Executive Producer and Creator
Kathy Powers is an Award Winning Educator and Professor, holding a Master’s Degree in English Language Arts and a Reading Specialist Credential from Fresno, California. Kathy has over thirty years of experience teaching Foods and Nutrition and Reading to over eight thousand primary age children, Middle School, High School, and University students. Kathy loves teaching children new skills and she believes in teaching children how to be confident in the kitchen, explore foods and gain cooking skills and have fun at the same time. From her personal perspective, and raising three daughters, Kathy felt that there was a tremendous need to teach children healthy eating habits and aid them in making nutritious food choices that they could carry with them into the future. Kathy has personally and solely raised over one and a half million dollars to bring this imaginative show to children.
Hey Kids, Let’s Cook! will continue to:
- Reach geographic households with a national and worldwide reach allowing children to have access to content of the award winning show, Hey Kids, Let’s Cook!
- Continue to create and provide fun and delicious content and demonstrations so that children can be successful in their own homes.
- Helping families execute healthy meals.
- Assuring Hey Kids, Lets’ team